Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rope

There are so many different ways to bind someone - leather collars and cuffs, metal restraints, spreader bars, chains, a combination of any of the above. And then there is rope...

Treated hemp happens to be my favorite, although the feel of silk or bamboo rope on bare skin is lovely. But the softer, gentler types of rope just don't appear to be as serious in their intent as hemp can be. It's a personal preference and certainly there are ways to bind limbs and body just as effectively with silk as with hemp.

There is just something so infinitely seductive about the rough smoothness of hemp coils settling on your skin. Being bound in hemp makes me think of being hugged by a python - an embrace that is at once strong, reassuring and dangerous.

I've escaped from rope countless times, but I prefer escaping from synthetics or the softer rope types. Hemp is just too inviting, I want to prolong its bonds not leave them.

Rope is a pleasure and a challenge at once. I'm not as limber as I'd like and yet, with rope, there's always the temptation to bend further, to fold myself into its strands, to forget that limbs fall asleep. Bending and twisting when I'm being tied is something my body does without any commands from me.

I hate being blindfolded but when I'm being tied, I almost always self-blind. I do not want anything to distract me from the physical sensation of rope on my skin. I'll close my eyes, I'll tune out all sounds but the sound of rope rustling against itself or against J's hands. All my senses are tuned to the sensation of being bound. It's incomparable to anything else.

When being tied for actual bondage rather than practice or decorative play, there always comes a moment when I am sufficiently bound to relax into the ropes. That moment is magical. It's like holding your breath and then letting it go and feeling your lungs settle into the safety of your rib cage. The blending of bondage and safety is intoxicating and that's when I start to float.

I've never taken mind-altering drugs, but I would imagine that floating in rope is similar to letting your mind go under the influence of drugs. There's a sense of being suspended between reality and dream, a feeling of weightlessness and languor. It's a sensation I have not experienced to the same degree under any other circumstances.

And then there's playing while bound in rope, but that's a topic for another post.

No comments: